The Case of the Disappearing Doctor

Well, H and I both survived our hectic weekend. Unfortunately we were both so exhausted that we did have somewhat short fuses, and there was a little bickering at times, which isn’t ideal when the MIL is visiting! Luckily we didn’t let ourselves get too carried away.

The Labour/Birth and Postnatal classes on Saturday went well – although we both found that we were having trouble concentrating by the end of the day – but I think they were worthwhile. Most of what we were learnt wasn’t new to me, but there were a couple of new things I picked up and it was good to get a refresher on the rest. Even H felt like he knew a lot of what was covered but I certainly feel more comfortable knowing that we’ve been to the classes. Now there’s just the Breastfeeding class at the end of the month, and we’ll be fully accredited parents, ha!

On Sunday we spent the whole afternoon baby shopping with H’s mum. I think this irritated H a little – he likes to be in-and-out when it comes to shopping. He’s very goal-oriented and hates to browse. He started to get a little ‘titchy’ when his mother or I made suggestions or if he didn’t think we were paying enough attention to his suggestions. He just didn’t understand that a giant baby shop is like fantasy-land to a pregnant lady and a soon-to-be-grandmother. Part of the reason we were there was to enjoy this fantasy, even if we knew that all our hypothesising and grand plans were unrealistic. I mean really, did he think I was actually going to buy the $1,900 cot? 

H’s mother was undergoing treatment for bowel cancer while we were planning our wedding, and was taking a lot of pain medications during the wedding itself and she told me that some of the evening is very vague to her. For that reason it was terribly important to her that she be able to be actively involved in planning for this baby. Once I explained that to H he loosened up a little and let us wander around ohh-ing and ahh-ing at baby clothes. The good news is that we now have our cot – still in its packaging and currently living underneath our sofa bed. This was a gift from H’s parents and I know his mother will love knowing that her grandchild is sleeping safely in a cot that she helped choose. We also bought a changing mat and a swivel changing base to go on top of the baby’s dresser. I love it so much! We’re still waiting for this to arrive but once it does I’ll set it up and take a picture for you.

Today we had our 28 week check-up. It started badly. First, H had an important event on at work. His plan was to try to be there for the appointment but he couldn’t guarantee it. This would have been fine – except that it rained today. All morning. And Melburnians do NOT know how to drive in the rain. I forgot to take this in to account and ended up running late to the appointment. If my darling H had been driving he would have got us there in time – he’s pretty impressive behind the wheel.

Unfortunately, when I did arrive at the hospital (already 15 minutes late) I was greeted by a big fat CAR PARK FULL sign and an attendant who wouldn’t let me in. I was forced to drive around and around (in heavy traffic) looking for a parking space. There were none. In the end I parked in a 15 minutes loading zone and hoped for the best, while running through the rain towards the hospital.

And what did I see when I arrived at my doctor’s office? H’s big, beautiful blue eyes looking up at me from the waiting room couch. Bliss!! It was kinda funny though… H wears a suit to work, but his job requires him to carry a gun. Because he was technically ‘at work’ he came to the appointment ‘fully loaded’, so to say! I’d never even seen a real gun until the first day I saw him all kitted out with his holster, so to be sitting 2 inches away from a gun while in my obstetrician’s office was a little odd. Good on our doc though, he didn’t even bat an eyelid!

Most of the news at the check up was good. Bert’s heartbeat sounded as perfect as ever, my fundus is measuring appropriately, and the OB could tell that Bert has his head down, his back up my left side, his bum under my left ribs (that explains the ache) and his feet under my right ribs. My blood test results are not so great. There’s nothing too serious going on, and he confirmed that I did pass my GTT (whew!). Unfortunately my iron stores are low (my Ferritin is only 6 – yikes!) and although my haemoglobin is in the acceptable range for pregnancy, it’s lower than it’s ever been for me in the past. And… my prolactin has doubled since it was last tested (at about 20 weeks). We knew that my prolactin would increase in pregnancy, but the hard part is deciding how high is too high. There are no “normal” ranges for a woman with a prolactinoma in pregnancy.

In terms of the prolactin, my OB wants me to go back to see my Endocrinologist again. He thinks that I should at least get my visual fields formally tested to make sure there hasn’t been growth of the tumour causing it to affect the optic nerve. The serious downside to this is that if my Endocrinologist does think I need to start treatment (which would happen after the baby is born) it would make it absolutely impossible to breastfeed. Sigh.

The last time I saw my Endocrinologist he mentioned that his office was moving. Yesterday when I tried to call him all the numbers were changed or disconnected. I called the hospital were he was based and they too had an old number for him. I can’t find him listed online at all. So…  how on earth do I get in touch with him?

The upshot of my iron deficiency is that I have to start eating more red meat (I’m not much of a meat eater) and if that doesn’t work I’ll need to start iron supplements. H was quite excited about the prospect of red meat every day! When I discussed this with my dad (because he likes to be kept in the loop after every OB appointment) he was quite concerned and thought that with a Ferritin of 6 I should have been starting the iron tabs straight away. Apparently a baby born low in ferritin has twice the likelihood of needing to be admitted to hospital in the first 12 months of life with infective illness than one born with adequate stores. In the end we agreed that I’ll try to improve my dietary intake, get retested at 34 weeks, and start the tablets then if I need to.

And after my appointment yesterday I came home and made myself a steak sandwich for lunch. What an obediant girl I am!


1 Comment

Filed under Baby Stuff, Doctors, Family, Non-IF Stuff, Pituitary Adenoma

One response to “The Case of the Disappearing Doctor

  1. Wow you really did have a super busy weekend! Your MIL sounds like a lovely lady and I am glad she enjoyed all the baby shopping!! Congrats on getting the cot and cannot wait to see how the nursery is coming along!!

    I am sorry to hear about the prolactin, I had to search your blog for your post about this.. I had no idea sweetie. Well I am glad they are keeping an eye out for it and I do hope you are able to track down your doctor soon!! Maybe call information and see if he is listed or google him… I find this helps when all else fails…good luck!!!