A Working Mother – Update

My day at work last week went pretty well. I had to kiss Will good-bye three times before I managed to get out the door in the morning, but there were no tears. The morning was fairly quiet and H was able to bring Will in for a feed at 10.30 AM which was fantastic. It’s quicker and easier than pumping, and I got some awesome cuddles! The afternoon was extremely busy and I had trouble getting away to pump. I finally managed it more than half an hour after the time I intended. I ended up pumping in the office/break room which is used by a large number of staff. My initial plan was perhaps to pump in the shower room at work but I realised there was no seat and no electrical outlet to plug my pump into. It took me about 25 minutes to pump and much to my amazement nobody came into the room during that time. It is inevitable that I will frequently be sharing that room with others so I made sure to pack a muslin cloth to drape over myself and provide a little modesty. It’s not ideal but it will do.

Interestingly I didn’t find being at work too difficult (in terms of missing the wee man, although I did find it difficult to turn my brain back on!). I was so busy in the afternoon that I didn’t even have time to think about it. It was later that night after Will had gone down to bed that I started getting a delayed reaction – after only seeing him for a couple of hours all day I was feeling a little sad and had to give him his dream-feed a little early because I just couldn’t wait any longer. I made sure to have an extra 10 minutes of cuddles after the feed which was just what I needed.

The whole experience was made easier by the fact that H was caring for Will. I didn’t have to worry that Will would be upset or confused and I know that H is more than capable of caring for him.

I’m glad I was able to ease back into work last week on a day that H was able to stay home. Tomorrow I go back to work and Will is going to the home of a family friend for the day. She is loving, sensible, and has raised three children of her own, but the reality is that Will is spending an entire day out of our care, which gives me a whole new dimension of things to worry about…


1 Comment

Filed under Baby Stuff, Fear

One response to “A Working Mother – Update

  1. AL

    So glad the first day back wasn’t too bad and it’s great that H could stay home with W.

    Hope the second day isn’t too bad, I’m sure he’ll be fine w/ the family friend. GL